Assignment Name: Understanding Online Searching to Create Better Searches
Topic/Unit: Research Skills
Lesson Overview: In this lesson, students will use Learnics to gather and analyze data on their online search habits and then modify those techniques after learning how search works.
Students will be able to
1. Students individually complete “Think, Puzzle, Explore” activity for a focused reflection on their knowledge of online searching. Whole class discussion of answers.
2. Using Learnics to capture students’ search activity, students will compete in pairs to complete a search query the fastest. Use a query that relates to a topic being studied in class or a high-interest topic like:
Can people make a living from tossing pizza dough all day?
Find at least 3 strong websites to support your answer.
3. Teacher will display the class search results from the Learnics Teacher’s view in the form of a word cloud (visual analytics - Search Word Cloud) or “Searches” in the classwide data.
Whole class discussion:
4. Introduce “Determining What Matters in a Search” through this slides presentation.
5. Using their new understanding of search queries, students will use Learnics to capture their search activity as they complete one of the Google A Day Challenges, like:
After coining the term “radioactive,” she discovered two radioactive elements. Which one is more predominant in cigarette smoke? (Found here)
6. After submitting their Learnics assignment, students will examine their data to answer the following Post-Assignment questions in Learnics: